Have you ever noticed, with the exception of identical twins, that no two chldren look exactly alike? Are you aware that even in identical twins, the fingerprints differ? Personality is another chractreistc that is unique to each child. I created this blog to explore those differneces and to help parents learn how to relate with each child in the most effective way.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Parenting with Personality

Why start a blog on parenting?
Why focus on personality?
Is personality important?

Parenting is a very important topic, at least to parents. Being a parent and realizing I do not have all the answers, but plenty of questions I wanted a place to discuss the issues.

I am focusing on personality because understanding a child's personality helps to determine the best was to correct, discipline, teach, reward, and show love to each child.

All of us have a personality and none are bad or good. It is just the way we are wired. Many factors affect the behavior but the underlying drivers are still present. For example I tend to be outgoing and talkative, but when I am in a business meeting with upper level management I subdue myself. It is better to be quiet and appear a fool, than to open the mouth and remove all doubt. Now if had to remain in a situation that required being still and not talking for a long period of time, my inner drives will start making me edgy and uncomfortable. I can extend this time through practice and self control, but knowing myself helps in the process.

My oldest Walker is a High "I" and tends to be outgoing and talkative. School is a challenge because for around 8 hours he is supposed to be still, quiet and be bored by the teachers endlessly. He had problems in one class because he finished his work faster than the other students but the teacher would not allow him to do anything else. I recommended reading a book, but he said she would not let him. I believe that eventually without my understanding him and teaching him how to adapt, they would have tried to put him on drugs for ADD.

I will post on the major 4 personality types later. If any sound like your child and you want to ask questions, give recommendations, tell funny stories please do. Another reason for this blog is to give me material for my classes and pass on advice that works to other parents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home